I am a proud user of iPad, and even though I have the 1g device I still enjoy it and use every day. Of course, you’ve seen thousands of app collections and sets, but for me it was really hard to find applications I need and like. Sometimes it happens that one app has a great desing, but, at the same time, it is really slow and not handy. Sometimes it works great, but the desing is so terrible that you feel like writing the developers, so they can fix it. Finally, after few months I am ready to show you my picks:
1. Best design: WWF Together for iPad. Seriously, guys, I’ve never seen such a beautiful application. The idea is just great, WWF did a great job picking pictures and information. Amazingly how they made it fun to use the interface not only for adults but for kids as well. I would say, this is one of the most beautiful apps of all time!
2. Best dictionary: Merriam-Webster electronic dictionary. For sure, it is one of the most usefull applications for me now. English is my second language, so if I see a new word I try to look it up the same second. App also has some nice features: “Starred” words (so you can easily find word you were looking for), links to all words appeared on your screen (if you need definition just press on it once) and many more.
3. Best sketch app: Paper. Even though I am not an artist, I like to draw from time to time and share my works with friends online. I tried Ps for Ipad and some other applications, but for me nothing could be as useful as Paper app. It allows you to create notebooks with your own sketches and notes, so you don’t have to put school notes next to nude girl sketch. Unfortunately, every brush costs about 2 dollars.
4. Best Photo app: Fotopedia project. I wrote project because I like all fotopedia apps, but especially Reporter and Heritage. First one allows you to create your personal online gallery about your trip, favorite city, cafe and whatever you can think of. Second one, Fotopedia Heritage, gives you opportunity to enlarge your knowledge of native tribes all around the world from Russia to New Zealand. Amazing pictures and friendly design. Best pick for photographers and artists!
5. Best Music app: Soundcloud. Even though I have 2 iPods Touch I get tired of my music sometimes. My first iPod is for jazz and blues and the second one I use for indie and rock music. But most of the time I use Soundcloud on my cell phone and explore young bands and labels. The biggest problem is finding the right person to follow, but you will easily find charts on the Internet.
6. Best motivational app: TED. For more than a year I am the big fan of TED (they even have a WordPress blog here). So, for me TED app on iPad is just a revelation! If you never heard about the organisation before – it is the time to download it.
7. Best Browser: tie between Safari and Yandex. I tried a few browsers before: Chrome (I use it on PC) and Puffin browser, but I never liked it. Standart browser is good as well, but Chromium-based Yandex Browser is good, really good. Even though it is Russian, they have English language there as well, so it won’t be a problem. It is lighter than others, so if you have an old device – it is the best choice.
8. Best reader: iBooks. Standart Apple reader. “Not a penny more, not a penny less”